Wednesday, March 12, 2008

THE RUNAWAY



So one of my worst moments happened with Hayden tonight. He got home from school today, and immediately went outside to play with friends! I saw them riding bikes, jumping on the tramp, and just running around. He ended up over at Garrett and Anne's house, and they invited him for dinner, and let him play for quite a while. So I finally called to have them send him home. He got home, we were getting ready for bed, and then he said it.
"I hate this house Mom, and I like it over at Garrett and Anne's more!"
To this I am completely surprised and I ask him, " Would you rather go live over there?" And his answer was yes!!!
So I tell him that he wont be able to see us anymore, or see his baby sister,..... he just looks at me and says OK. I tell him he wont be able to play with his toys,...... and he tells me he'll just play with Drew's toys. I tell him that I will be really sad, and that I would miss him too much, .....and he tells me that I could come over to visit him over at their house.
At this point I am starting to get my feelings hurt, so I said if you want to go, you can go. He didn't even have his PJ pants on yet, just his shirt, he grabbed his blankee, and off he went!
Luckily we live so close to Garrett's that he was safe to walk over there. So I called Anne to pre-warn her what was up.
He called me a few minutes after getting there, and I pretended that I was crying. I told him that I wanted him to come home, and that Heavenly Father and Jesus wanted him to be my son, and for me to take care of him, so he better come live with me again. To this he says "Well, I think I am going to stay here!" So instead of counting to ten, I told him Mic was on his way to pick him up and that I was going to wash his mouth out with soap! (What that would accomplish I don't know, but it made me feel better!)
So he came home, and apologized for leaving and said he loved me, but I'm not sure if it was fear, or something else! I know he was just frustrated, and tired from a long day, but my heart hurts just a little! Obviously he needs a little more attention from us! What do you think?!

12 comments:

Jana said...

Oh my goodness, Show! Let me just say that I think every kid goes through this. I remember doing it. On my 8th bday. I packed my things, my new scriptures included, and walked around the block before I realized I had no where to go. So I just hid in the neighbor's yard until I thought my parents had been punished enough. I laugh about it now, but I'm sure it hurt my parents' feelings too. Don't take it too personally. He loves you! He's just trying to see what he can get away with, I think.

Lacy said...

So sad. What a little turkey. He still loves you more than anything. He has probably just realized that at other peoples houses, he can be the king!!!

Chanté said...

Oh my goodness. He seems too young to be doing that already. I remember wishing I lived somewhere else but I was always more worried about my mom's feelings and would never say it out loud....
If Brecken ever does that I'd just be bawlin' like a baby.

Amanda said...

So, so, sad, I would probably cry. I think that kids these days are smarter than we were at there age.

The Wells Family said...

seriously being a mom is hard, even the little things like when Kate wants to give daddy a kiss and not me

I feel like saying "after all I do all day for you this is what I get in return"(in an angry mothers voice)

People have just said don't take it to heart but I think it's ok to feel bad even if your kids don't mean it when they want to run away. hopefully someday they will appreciate us poor mothers right....and thank us right? Well there's a novel for ya ( sorry I get long winded sometimes)

Sommer said...

Shelby- Savanna's hair is soooo curly that if I straighten it very often, it fries it. I would prefer she didn't know I could flat iron it or she would ask every day :)

Cami said...

OH he's so naughty, but sooooooo Cute!!!

jill said...

I'm so entertained reading your blog you are so funny. I love to see what kind of things your doing kids just keep you going for sure.

Ash said...

Shelb first of all, could your little boy be any cutter. He has your gorgeous skin. And look at his hair. Beautiful. I love your story. I bet Garrett and Anne loved that.

Jessica F. said...

I love these kind of stories. He will never be able to live that down. You are a fantastic mom and he will figure it out. I would probably cry too!(I liked the soap part though)

Mandy said...

I also think you are a fantastic mom. Amazing what moms go through. You handled it very well. I love to read your blog by the way, I think you're great!
I also love what Hayden said about you guys getting a divorce so you can marry him. What a cute kid!

(I made my blog private, if you want you can email me and I'll add you to the list. mandycheney@hotmail.com)

Mia said...

My heart would also be so sad about that. Oh, the things I have to look forward to. Maybe Garrett and Anne could give him some chores when he got there or have him eat brussel sprouts or some weird veggie???